Free 2-Day Shipping + Free Returns

0

Your Cart is Empty

UVA/UVB vs UV 400 Protection. What's the difference?

July 18, 2018 2 min read 0 Comments

UVA/UVB vs UV 400 Protection. What's the difference?

The common recommendation when looking for sunglasses is to find a pair that blocks 100% of UVA/UVB radiation or offers 100% UV 400 protection. The advice is simple enough. However, this then begs the question, what is the difference between the two? Is one better than the other?

What is UVA and UVB?

The sun emits 3 types of UV waves - UVA, UVB and UVC. Both UVA and UVB make it through to the earths surface. UVC (the most dangerous) on the other hand is mostly absorbed by the earth's atmosphere.

95% of UV radiation that makes it to the earth is UVA (this is also what is used in tanning beds). The other 5% is UVB (which is what causes most sunburns). Both types of radiation have been found to cause damage if directly exposed to our eyes.

This is the reason most experts will tell you to look for sunglasses that block 100% of UVA and UVB rays.

What is UV 400?

Simply put, UV 400 means that the lenses will block Ultraviolet (UV) waves shorter than or equal to 400 nano-meters (nm). All UV waves come in different lengths as shown in the chart below.

UVA/UVB/UVC UV400 wavelength chart

UVA: 320-400 (nm)

UVB: 290-320 (nm)

UVC: 200-290 (nm)

Since all of these UV rays are shorter than or equal to 400 nm, they are blocked by the lenses - keeping your eyes safely protected.

This also explains why you can still see color. The color red has a wavelength of 680 nm. Since it is greater than 400 nm, it is not blocked by the UV 400 lenses.

Is 100% UVA/UVB protection better than 100% UV 400 protection?

No, both are blocking 100% of the sun's harmful UVA and UVB radiation. As long as your sunglasses offer this protection (like all sunglasses here at STNGR), you can rest easy and always perform your best!




Also in EDGE-ucation

Best Adventures to Take as a Couple
Best Adventures to Take as a Couple

November 22, 2019 3 min read 0 Comments

Nothing improves an outdoor experience like sharing the fun with someone you love. But not every activity is conducive to a happy couples’ retreat – to keep your relationship strong and make the most of your adventures together, choose from this list of the best adventures for active outdoor couples.
Read More
How to Choose an Outdoor Backpack
How to Choose an Outdoor Backpack

November 05, 2019 4 min read 0 Comments

Whatever outdoorsmanship you enjoy, whether that’s mountain biking, long-distance kayaking, ultra-marathoning, or simple hiking — one piece of gear is an essential before all others. Mostly because you need this piece of gear to carry all the others. We’re talking about backpacks.
Read More
Unique Kid-Friendly Outdoor Activities For Autumn
Unique Kid-Friendly Outdoor Activities For Autumn

October 31, 2019 3 min read 0 Comments

The days are getting shorter, the leaves are turning, and – well, you’ve heard it all before. It’s Fall! And of course, that new chill in the air isn’t going to stop you and your kids from staying active in the outdoors. Here’s a list of 20 out-of-the-box autumn activities your kids will love once you’ve covered all the usual bases with pumpkin carving and apple picking.
Read More